Friday, October 14, 2016

Proving versus Providing

Hey, friends, followers, and readers of this blog!

It's been a few months since I last posted on here (like, eight to be exact), but I wanted to share with y'all something new that God's laid on my heart that I felt was significant enough to write and post about.

NOTE: Before we jump too far into things, please know and understand that there was and is no passive aggressiveness in this blog. This post is solely based on what I have seen and felt convicted of, and am not trying to throw one party or the other under the bus. 

Now, onward!

                                                 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 
     Don't you hate being told that you're wrong?  I know for me, being proven or told this can be a total feeling of defeat.  I mean, It's not something that I'm gonna exactly go home and cry about, but c'mon, no one likes to be told they're wrong.  If I am wrong--which is quite often--I don't mind being told so, but the way in which I am informed that I'm incorrect is what makes the difference between resent and reasoning. 

Some time ago, I was scrolling through YouTube, and came across some videos that, at the time didn't seem like a big deal.  But now looking back and thinking about them, actually kind of bother me.  I can't refer back to the specific videos I saw due to lack of memory, but just search them on YouTube and you'll instantly get many results.  What videos am I referring to?  I'm talking about videos demonstrating "How to disprove/prove atheists wrong."

Now, hear me out, guys.  I'm not saying that these people in the videos are doing something wrong, and I'm not saying that I'm doing something right.  But imagine if you were in their shoes.  You're a firm believer in something, and people from the opposite belief are making hundreds of videos showing the world how to disprove you--think about how you would feel.  As far as religion goes, Christians know the truth and want the world to know it too.  But the truth is that we aren't told, called, instructed, demanded, required or mandated to prove anything; but simply, called to share and show God's love. 

I'm gonna step off my soapbox now.  I don't want y'all to base how you feel about this topic solely from what I think, so let's see what the Bible has to say about this topic.

 In 1 Peter 3:15-16 it says this:

"But sanctify The Lord in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed."

Alright, so we see here that it's completely okay to be prepared for when people ask you about your faith; and that's a good thing.  We need to know why we believe what we do, and be ready to share the truth.  But notice it says "with meekness and fear", not arrogance and pride.  But, here's something else the Bible also says about this:

"Have nothing to do with foolish controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.  And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.  God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will."  2 Timothy 2:23-26

Have nothing to do with foolish controversies!  As Christians, Christ is supposed to be our example and the One we should to strive to imitate.  If you look back at Jesus and His ministry, He didn't have to prove the answers, He simply just provided them.  He was a teacher, kind, patient, and gentle; and that's how we're supposed to be.  Paul tells us in Romans that "God demonstrates His own love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Romans 5:8.  God proved the truth and power of His love by demonstrating it to us; fully knowing and accepting that some still wouldn't believe.  After the death and resurrection, there's absolutely nothing more to prove.  Now, it's up to us to choose what we want to believe and how we want to live. 

I guess what I'm trying to figure out, is why we are trying so hard to prove what has already been proven. God performed the ultimate demonstration of pure truth, love, and grace; there's nothing left for Him or us to prove.  Once we've shared and provided everything we know about God and Who He is, it's up to everyone else to make their own choice.

We aren't called to prove Jesus and His love; we're called to provide Him and His love. 

Well, that's all I have.  Thanks for taking the time to read my blog.  I hope God has spoken to you through it, and has shown you His words of truth, not mine. 

In Christ,

-Abby-Lynn

1 comment: